For Indian distance learning, the Union Budget 2020 labelled an important milestone. The finance minister said that major Indian colleges will, from now on, provide online degrees. With the creation of the Higher Education Grants Board (Open and Distance Education Courses and Online Courses) Rules, 2020, universities and colleges having NAAC accreditation of A or above are now able to offer online degree programs. The UGC began approving the courses that different institutions suggested before the end of 2020.
The pandemic’s limits on educational facilities have turned out to be a gift in disguise since they have allowed online learning to replace conventional classes. A rise in online education and distance learning, supported by colleges and universities and freshly founded educational technology businesses, was also seen during the pandemic across the globe. By doing so, online degree programs have become more accessible and have helped to allay public concerns about online learning.
Several Indian colleges are now starting to offer UGC-Entitled Online Degree programs, allowing learners as well as adults with jobs to keep up their studies from the ease and safety of their homes.
Why you must go for UGC entitled online degrees?
It has provided students with an abundance of new opportunities, some of which are described below:
- Equivalent to programs taught on-campus: Under UGC rules, colleges and universities must offer online certification, diploma, and degree options in fields where on-campus programs are similar. Online degrees are allowed to be provided by accredited colleges and universities (NAAC A+ or higher); by doing so, the regulator can guarantee the standards of education. The UGC rule is important as it ensures that distance learning degrees are given the same importance and weight as degrees gained via conventional means. Design and the shipment of the online courses are carried out by the same lecturers who teach the traditional courses. Employers won’t make judgments based on a student’s style of education since the job market views online degrees as legitimately equal to normal courses.
- Good education:Cities always serve as centres of learning in India. For higher education, rural region pupils feel obliged to go to town. However, online learning removes these challenges and offers everyone the same chances for education. It is also useful for those individuals who are reluctant to attend school because of the travel time required to go to and from the institutions. Students who take courses online can do this from their homes, and they can also access educational materials and books.
- Flexibility:Online degrees deliver learners more flexibility by minimizing the duration of time and space needed to conduct concentrated study. The choice of which courses they take is completely up to them, and they are entirely responsible for doing so. It increases the number of learning and earning options for pupils. Online education enables employees to further their education without needing to leave their careers. However, setting up a routine that is consistent is strongly suggested to ensure continuous enhancement throughout the course.
- Cost savings and simple payment methods:Online learning saves both learners and educational institutions money in multiple ways in comparison to traditional courses. Online learning doesn’t involve expenditures for maintenance, power, travel, meals, or lodging. It helps colleges in lowering the cost of courses. Because it reduces costs for housing, food, clothing, and other expenditures aside from lower fees, studying online is also cost-effective for students. Students can reimburse the course cost simply by using financing choices like EMI, which will lessen their financial tension. To accommodate the most candidates from all categories, a few colleges have granted fee-waiving scholarships to qualified students.
- Pay attention to in-demand skills:The primary goal of online courses could be improving the skills of learners after they complete their studies since the classes are designed in accordance with the demands of the business. Institutions have close ties with the market and communicate with leaders to ensure learners get the latest information and trends about the sector. According to input from the business, the universities help the students gain desirable abilities. Additionally, all of the universities that got the A+ NAAC certification have set up placement cells that have contacts with key business and governmental organizations. Even students earning degrees online will get support from the cell in finding appropriate employment or expanding their careers as employed executives.
All of the UGC-designated programs have received recognition from Indian and international commercial and public businesses. Numerous benefits are available to students through Online universities, including a selection of specific programs in in-demand fields, an accessible education management system, placement backing, etc.
The Indian educational system is ready to rethink the nation’s higher education setting using online master’s degree that have received UGC approval. Students who enrol in online degree programs might possess one or more of the explanations indicated above. Online degree development is still in its infancy as well. Multiple opportunities are going to pop up in the future, but it is the learners’ responsibility to investigate them.